Thursday, December 15, 2005

Send Free SMS messages

Send Free SMS Messages

I came across this service and I was impressed. It is called TeleFlip. It allows one to send free SMS messages to any capable mobile number in North America via email, without knowing the carrier of the mobile.

I partly thought this was an excellent idea because I came up with a similar idea about five years ago. I planned on using a database like the one used at www.fonefinder.net that tells you what carrier the number belongs to. While this might have worked 5 years ago, the rumors of numbers portability (the ability to tace your number with you) scared me away so I didn't bother to work on it further or persue a patent. I now patent all my good and I guess not so good ideas.

I was even fortunate enough to have found a good domain name... fastbeep.com. I used it for 2-3 years for personal messaging and then just let it expire. Walt at fonefinder did not think it would work with portable numbers, but it did.

Anyway, the usage is very easy especially for us treo users. You just simply send an email it the format (xxx) xxx-xxxx@teleflip.com. You can have the number in any format actually, with spaces or no spaces, or just the 10 digits. The service receives the message and sends it to the appropriate carrier. Charges may apply from the carrier for the recipient and may be subject carrier restrictions.

You can use this service in many different ways. Send group messages, send timed messages, forward important emails, etc...

Check it out at www.teleflip.com and let us know how it works!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was great and fast. Thanks.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Todd Wuerdeman said...

Thanks. that works faster than the actual phone companies system of direct SMS messages. But I would surmise that is not too difficult to believe.

I just sent about $20 worth of inbound text messages to my Ex-wife's verizon cell phone. In Cincinnati, Verizon charges 20ยข for every incoming text whether you like it or not. This is great!

4:41 PM  
Blogger TreoTricks said...

Todd, on teleflip's website it says they go after every spammer.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I've been waiting to find a blog like this. Now I just need to work up the guts to hack my Treo. Thanks!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Online Degree said...

Thank you for the tip. This is great to know!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Diary of a Ghost said...

This is impressive.

It must take work to create a blog like this. You must know a lot about a "Treo" to make this possible. I'll be honest, I, um, don't really know what that is. Maybe you could explain it?

Thanks. You seem to be a really intellectual person.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - love the text msg link! It worked great on Cingular...

Merry Christmas...

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, what a great service teleflip is!

Signature:
Get $25 free on first deposit at the world's largest poker room with 70,000+ players
http://www.partypoker.com use code: shefa

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teleflip.com is a great service, have used it for a while. What I'm not sure about is how often they update their database when cell phone numbers switch providers..

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

since the person messaging with you won't come in with a teleflip email address, this won't work with the threaded IM-style SMS "coversation" that the treo uses, right? that's unfortunately enough to dissuade me from using it. any way arounsd that?

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found an even cooler site called http://www.enotifyme.com it allows me to convert my email to voice (email to phone) and listen to it on any landline or mobile phone and I can reply by voice back to the originating sender :) They also allow 'cascading' so I can selectively have emails reach me at home, then on my cell as a text message, then at the office and so on - kind of the ICQ version of what teleflip's 1 trick pony approach is about.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home